Share page with AddThis

News

Institutional investors to become dominant players in digital assets market

CryptocurrenciesProfessional investors are set to replace their retail counterparts as the major holders of digital assets, according to recently published research.

The study was conducted by Canada-based digital currency asset manager Grayscale Investments.

It found that 71% of professional investors expect institutions to hold 60% of digital assets within seven years.

Such a scenario would be a reverse of the current market status where institutional investors hold just 3% of digital assets with retail investors holding the remaining 97%.

The research found a number of drivers for the trend including the ability for hardware providers in the digital mining sector to expand into cloud computing expenditure.

The study surveyed 105 professional investors in Europe who control $182.5 billion in assets under management.

© 2022 fundsTech

Most read features

Cryptocurrencies: Solving crypto’s sustainability problem

Cryptocurrencies like bitcoin have a huge carbon footprint but, as Nicholas Pratt discovers, environmentally friendly alternatives exist.

Roundtable: The digital transformation opportunity

The funds industry is looking at adopting new types of technology, from automation to ESG reporting, blockchain and tokenisation. A FundsTech roundtable in March explored how these will revolutionise the sector.

Proxy voting: Making every vote count

With stewardship more important than ever and digital technology to the fore, surely it is time to solve the problem of proxy voting? Nicholas Pratt investigates.

Interview: Rise of the robo-adviser

FundsTech talks to Nutmeg’s CTO, Matt Gatrell, about the role of technology in its online offering.

Regulation: Panel calls for simplicity in ESG reporting

The industry accepts the need for more rigour in ESG fund reporting, but the work will be pointless if investors don’t understand the end result. Nicholas Pratt reports.

Sponsored Profiles

Data consolidation takes centre stage in asset management M&A

MergersConsolidation between asset management firms is overwhelmingly expected to increase. Operational challenges remain thanks to legacy systems. But in a recent...

Are you being microserved?

As asset managers grapple with new digital technology, FundsTech talks to Calastone’s Adam Belding about the importance of software architecture and the benefits...

Sponsored profile: A question of trust

AcrobatsAs more firms adopt agile software development practices, Petra Roche of Metrosoft explains why trust is so important in making agility work.

Sponsored feature: Compliance and the case for agility

CheetahFundsTech talks to Janusz Lorenc, CEO of Metrosoft, about asset managers’ approach to compliance risk and the case for agile software development.